Wednesday 4 March 2015

Mini Countryman WRC (wip)

My latest project is from Airfix, its another starter pack but this time a gift box with two models inside. 
1:32 scale Ford Fiesta RS and a Mini Countryman, both from the FIA World Rally Championship (Fiesta 2012, Mini 2011).
I've decided to do the Mini first as although they seem very similar the mini does look slightly easier, especially the decals. 
This post will be a work in progress and I'll split it into a couple of posts. 

While browsing modelling forums I picked up an idea to paint the parts while still on the sprue. This would hopefully make painting the small parts a lot easier. 
When painting the base of the car I found that the white paint wasn't taking to the part very well, I ended up applying about 5 coats before it looked acceptable. 

Once most parts were painted I took them off the sprue, touched up the blank spots where they were attached then I began putting it together. 







Painted sprues 

While painting I added a few extra touches to make it look a bit better. I painted the calipers on the brake discs red,  also added a touch of yellow to the red seat belts to represent the pads on racing seat belts. Lastly a little silver on the seat belt buckles.

Everything off the sprue ready to go together

Onto the base go the silver exhaust pipes(top right), the floor panel (right middle), and the suspension springs and supports (left).

Seats, spare wheel, gear stick,  pedals and fire extinguisher all ready to go in.

Everything in place.

In goes the steering column and wheel and the dashboard (with a touch of silver paint on the dials to make them stand out more).

The roll cage all ready to go on.

First part nearly complete, just need to add the seat belts, Suspension springs, brake discs and wheels then it's onto the shell of the car to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment